Matsue is located in southwest Japan, in the north of Shimane Prefecture. Shimane is part of the Chugoku Region, along with four other prefectures (Tottori, Okayama, Hiroshima, and Yamaguchi).
The Chugoku Region is commonly subdivided into the San-yo Region (south side) along the Seto Inland Sea coast, and the San-in Region (north side) along the Sea of Japan coast, of which Matsue is the largest city.
Matsue can be easily reached by two nearby airports: Izumo Airport (IZO) and Yonago Airport (YGJ).
Izumo Airport (Japanese)
Domestic flights operated by JAL (Japan Airlines)
- Tokyo Haneda: 5 flights daily (75 min)
- Osaka Itami: 5 flights daily (55 min)
- Fukuoka (Kyushu): 2 flights daily (70 min)
- Nagoya: 1 flight daily (60 min) operated by FDA (Fuji Dream Airlines) (Japanese)
- Oki Islands (North of Shimane Prefecture): 1 flight daily (35 min).
Shuttle buses to Matsue Station depart following all flight arrivals. A one-way trip takes 30 minutes and costs ¥1,030 to Matsue JR Station, or ¥1,130 to Shinjiko Onsen Station, on the northern side of Lake Shinji.
Please note that other shuttle buses connect with Izumo JR Station and Tamatsukuri Onsen (hot spring area located south of Lake Shinji).
- Tokyo Haneda: 6 flights daily (70 min) operated by ANA (All Nippon Airways)
- Incheon International Airport (Seoul, South Korea), operated by Asiana Airlines : Three flights per week (75 min).
The number of flights and available airports are subject to change, so please confirm with each airline.
Shuttle buses to Matsue Station depart following all domestic flight arrivals. A one way trip takes 45 minutes and costs ¥990.
For international arrivals, you can wait for a shuttle bus scheduled in connection with a domestic arrival, or take a JR Train to Yonago station, and continue by train to Matsue or take a bus.
Trains operated by Japan Rail depart from Yonago Airport station approximately once every hour. To get to Matsue, travellers should transfer at Yonago station. A one way trip to Matsue costs ¥760 by regular train (90 min) and ¥1,830 by express (70 min).
*Early flight reservations (from 2 months up to 28 days prior to departure) for both JAL and ANA are generously discounted.
*Number of flights can change according to the time of the year.
Matsue Station is operated by JR (Japan Railways) and is an inter-city railway station. It can be quickly accessed by the Limited Express Yakumo running between Matsue and Okayama.
- By bullet train: take JR Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen (departing from Tokyo Station). Transfer to Limited Express Yakumo at Okayama. 15 trains a day. Approx. 5 hours 40 min, including Limited Express Yakumo. Fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass, excluding Nozomi trains.
- By Sunrise Izumo overnight train. 1 departure daily. Approx. 11 hours 35 min. Covered by the Japan Rail Pass, excluding special compartments, etc.
- By bullet train: take Shinkansen (departing from Shin-Osaka Station), transfer to Limited Express Super Yakumo at Okayama. 15 trains daily. Approx. 3 hours including Super Yakumo. Fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass, excluding Nozomi trains.
- By Shinkansen. (Departing from Hakata Station). Change to Limited Express Super Yakumo at Okayama. 15 trains a day. Approx. 4 hours including Super Yakumo. Fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass, excluding Nozomi trains.
- By Shinkansen. (Departing from Hakata Station). Change to Limited Express Super Oki at Shin Yamaguchi. 3 trains a day. Approx. 4 hours 20 min. Fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass, excluding Nozomi trains.
Purchasing Japan Rail Pass:
Purchasing Railway Tickets on JR lines (Japanese only):
Japan Railways group official web/reservation
Highway buses can be a reasonable option when travelling to Matsue.
Highway buses connect Matsue and Tokyo (night bus only), Kyoto, Osaka, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Okayama, Kobe, and Nagoya (night bus only).
- Departing from Tokyo (12 hours): 1 overnight bus operated daily by Ichibata Bus and Chugoku JR Bus.
- Departing from Kyoto (5 hours): Ichibata Bus, Kyoto Bus, Chugoku JR Bus and JR Bus Nishinihon operate a total of four round trips (incl. 1 overnight).
- Departing from Osaka (4.5 hours): Ichibata Bus, Hankyu Bus and Chugoku JR Bus operate a total of eight round trips (incl. 1 overnight)
- Departing from Okayama (Approx. 3 hours): Ichibata Bus and Chugoku JR Bus operate a total of seven round trips.
- Departing from Hiroshima (Approx. 3 hours): Ichibata Bus operates a total of sixteen round trips.
Purchase seats / Contact:
When purchasing highway bus tickets, each bus company or route carries out its own seat sales. By using the information that we provide here as a reference, please contact each bus company information centre (operators noted above) for further information. Tickets are also available at major bus terminals.
Ichibata Highway Bus (Japanese)
Chugoku JR Bus (Japanese)
For buses to and from Tokyo, reservations and purchases can be made online through:
Bus reservations to and from other locations can be found here:
→This website is only available in Japanese, however, it offers a large number of routes nationwide, and can be navigated by using a web page translation service. You must register with the site and create a password to reserve a bus seat. Purchases can be made at convenience stores in Japan.
Inquiring directly at a travel agency in Japan is one other alternative for reserving and purchasing bus tickets.
★ The Hiroshima-Matsue Highway Bus is now ¥500 !
Foreign travelers who fill out a short survey will enjoy ¥500 one-way fare on the highway bus from Hiroshima to Matsue. Please click here for the details.
- From Tokyo (804 km) / Nagoya (457 km) / Osaka (284 km)
Tokyo (Tomei Expy) – Nagoya – (Meishin Expy) – Kyoto/Osaka – (Chugoku Expy) – (Ochiai JCT) – (Yonago Expy) – (San-in Expy) – (Route 9) → Matsue
- From Tottori (126 km) / Yonago (33 km)
Tottori / Yonago (San-in Expy) – (Route 9) → Matsue
- From Okayama (180 km)
Okayama (Okayama Expy) – (Chugoku Expy) – (Ochiai JCT) – (Yonago Expressway) – (San-in Expy) – (Route 9) → Matsue
- From Hiroshima (180 km)
Hiroshima (Hiroshima Expy) – (Chugoku Expy) – (Miyoshi Higashi IC) – (Matsue Expy) – (Shinji JCT) – (Matsue Expy) → Matsue
- From Kochi (320 km) / Takamatsu (236 km)
Kochi (Kochi Expy) – (Takamatsu Expy) – (Seto-chuo Expy) – (Okayama Expy) – (Chugoku Expy) – (Ochiai JCT) – (Yonago Expy) – (San-in Expy) – (Route 9) → Matsue
- From Fukuoka (432 km)
Fukuoka (Kyushu Expy) – (Chugoku Expy) – (Miyoshi Higashi IC) – (Matsue Expy) – (Shinji JCT) – (San-in Expy) – (Route 9) → Matsue
Expressways are tolled in Japan, so expect to pay the according fee.
Avoiding expressways and using ordinary roads are toll-free alternatives, but the journey will take longer. If you choose this option, we recommend that you use a satellite navigation system or carry detailed maps with you.
Links for information when travelling by car:
West Nippon Expressway Company Limited (NEXCO West Nippon)